One of Ukrainian AAC Community task is to conduct AAC research to adapted the best world practices to Ukrainian standards and the language. As well as to represent research and practical experience of specialists, communication partners and users at international events. Since 2018 we took part in local and worldwide conferences in autism, assistive technologies and AAC.
The need to share AAC in emergencies rised with the escalation of the Russian war in Ukraine in 2022. If you would like to support the Community, share any materials or experience in AAC with our members or to invite us to share our practice, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Ukrainian AAC Community effectively cooperates with international leaders in AAC for communication assistance.
ISAAC – the International Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication.
It is a membership organization working to improve the lives of children and adults with complex communication needs. We cooperate closely with the Polish branch of Isaac – ISAAC Polska. The organization was created in 1999 as a national AAC association in 2017 converted to an ISAAC chapter (part of the international AAC organization which is an NGO with consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). The ISAAC Polska President Aldona Mysakowska-Adamczyk delivered training for Ukrainian parents and specialists in AAC in early intervention. The Head of AAC Community in Ukraine Oksana Kryvonogova is a member of ISAAC.
Ezer Mizion Israel National AAC Lending Center and Communication Assessment and Intervention Unit
- Yonit Hagoel-Karnieli, Speech and Language Pathologist, MSc, is a certified SLT (speech and language therapist) and a leading communication clinician specializing in AAC (Augmentative and Alternative Communication) and AT (Assistive Technology). She serves as the Director of the Ezer Mizion Israel National AAC Lending Center and Communication Assessment and Intervention Unit. She is a leading consultant for AAC and AT care at hospitals, medical centers, and clinics throughout the country. in June 2022 Mrs. Hagoel-Karnieli shared with the Community about AAC system in Israel at a webinar “Giving a voice to those who cannot speak.” Please see the recording below.
METC “Mashav” Educational Training Center of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs , Israel .
MASHAV – Israel’s Agency for International Development Cooperation.
In 2022 representatives of METC “Mashav” Educational Training Center of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs , Israel in collaboration with The Special Education Division and The Psychologist Emergency and Prevention Unit “SHEFI’, of the Ministry the Education, Israel held a free webinar for the Community on AAC in emergencies. The lecturers are experts in the field of assitive technologies for communication with a comprehensive experience in emergencies.
- Addressing children and adolescents with speech impairments to stay safe in war actions or evacuation.
- Tools and principles of providing an educational and therapeutic response in emergencies .
- Relief activities for children with AAC means.
- Different accents in communication assistance in emergencies depending on disability forms.
Research of the Ukrainian AAC Community
In 2022 Hanna Usatenko, community co-founder, represented results of research in communication development in preschoolers connected with Ukrainian symbols usage of DyvoGra provider.
Hanna Usatenko: Usage of symbolic images for diagnoctics of communication skills in children with autism and severe speech disorders. Please download a paper below.
Nov 2022 – Hanna Usatenko, community co-founder, presents Ukrainian experience in AAC in emergencies at AAC2022 organized by ASSIST – Assistive Technologies in Bulgaria. The topic is “AAC during the lifespan in war and crisis. Ukrainian experience.”
Jul 2023 – Oksana Kryvonogova, Community Leader, presents Ukrainian AAC practices in early development at ISAAC Conference Cancún
If you would like to support the Community, share any materials or experience in AAC with our members or to invite us to share our practice, please contact email@example.com